Friday, 29 June 2012

An Assortment of Baby Bibs

Well not quite an assortment but that is the aim, and I'm getting there....


Little Bug is in desperate need for some new bibs. She has outgrown her original small baby ones and is at that stage of food flinging where some more substantial 'whole body' cover is required. 

Jess from Craftiness is not Optional posted a tutorial for the one pictured above and is modelled for you by Bug herself. I was really pleased with the fit, I had to lengthen the armhole binding from 31" to 35" to give more room as it seemed a bit tight across the chest when I tried it on her (luckily before stitching it). 


I do love those gorgeous chubby folds!


 I tried my hand at sketching out a design of my own. Working off the shape of an old bib I laid it down on some paper and drew around it making it the size I thought would work. I added some length and made the bottom edge less rounded and more square shaped. I used a plain blue medium weight cotton for the reverse side and binding and a fun spotty print for the front. Add a cute big blue button and it was complete!


Confession.... I cut out the main fabric the wrong way up and ended up with the button on the left hand side instead of my intended right. Ooops! I don't suppose it matters really but I will stay awake a bit more next time I cut one out. To have it on the left side seems odd to me when I fasten it.


Thursday, 28 June 2012

2 +2 blouse

I have wanted to do this blouse for ages now. It was number one on my Oliver + S wish list. The fabric I used was a cotton/linen blend which started life as an Ikea duvet. I found the duvet in a charity shop and thought it would be perfect for summer clothes, nice and cool.



It took me far too long to complete this project. Other things kept getting in the way and this had to go on the back burner. I dislike sewing a project in short bursts, I find that I lose momentum. So although I love the end result, I don't feel like I achieved what I set out to do because I kept getting interrupted. Hopefully the next time I make this pattern I will have a bit more time and enjoy it more.

I made up the size 5 because I wanted to get some wear out of it straight away, while the weather is warm enough. The next one will definitely be a size 6.

Friday, 1 June 2012

Jubilee Party Dress


My daughter has a Jubilee Party at nursery today and the orders were to dress in red, white and blue. I wanted to make her something that she could remember wearing on this special occasion. It may mean something to her in years to come that she celebrated this event, even if she wont remember it too clearly.

I wanted a simple dress that she could play in yet feel dressy so I used a Simplicity pattern that I have used in the past and altered it slightly.

The pattern is for a simple toddlers pinafore dress that fastens at the shoulders. Pattern 6578.

The version I have only goes up to a size 4 (have I really had it that long!?) so I spent a tedious half hour altering the pattern size up to a size 6. Then with my pieces cut out I cut the bodice off at the waistline as I wanted to put a band around the middle.

I wish I had taken some photos of the process but I was concentrating on getting the dress finished for today and with only nap time to get it done, I wasn't about to waste precious minutes with photography!

I had previously sketched out my design which was to have a Union Jack on the bodice with appliqued red and blue patches, and a red waist trim to finish it off. I wanted it nice and simple and befitting a small child. The last thing the world needs is another Spice Girl ensemble! So putting all thoughts of Geri Halliwell aside I started stitching on the colours.





The bodice was easier than I thought to put together. I just hemmed and topstitched it on before constructing the rest of the linings and sewing up the side seams. The skirt is where I hit my first snag. I thought I would just be able to attach the rest of the pattern piece onto the bodice but (and this may have been my pattern re-sizing) when I looked at the pieces they were not going to be full enough for what I wanted and also the bottom hems were a few inches short of each other. So.... I made a simple selvedge to selvedge tube and gathered it at the waist. It gave me the fullness I wanted and I was able to add a bit more length on.

The waist band was added on last once everything was assembled. It finished the dress off perfectly and also added a bit of interest to the back of the dress which would otherwise have been a very boring plain white.


I really like the end result. It is obvious what it is without being too gaudy and she looks really sweet in it. Maybe I will get it out again to cheer on our athletes later on in the year!