Thursday, 26 July 2012

After School Pants

I made the After School Shirt a few weeks ago and wanted to make a pair of the pants. Once I had found some fabric I got started. I chose a cotton drill in navy and it was so nice to work with. The right side of the cloth has a brushed peachy feel and is gorgeous. I will be going out to get some more soon. It is a med-heavy weight so will see my daughter through the autumn/winter nicely.

I thought the pattern was simple to follow and the instructions were, as ever, well written. I had to go and check on the O+S website about the very first stage as the instructions conflicted with the image as to which pattern piece you were to start with. As suspected it was just a typo that should have said' pocket lining' instead of 'front pocket'. Good that you can check on the errata updates. So once that was cleared up, I moved through the stages quickly and easily. 
 It was only when attaching the pants yoke that I had a little wobble.



I put the pieces down on the pants leg and they didn't seem to lie flush with the top edge. On the picture (the one in the middle on the instructions above) the edge is curved like my pants leg but my yoke seemed to sit in a straight line underneath. I puzzled over this for a few minutes with my head cocked to one side like I remember my Golden Retriever doing when she was considering something. Probably with the same expression on my face as well.
But I couldn't see how else to proceed so just went for it and pinned it together.



The fabric is a little puckered in my attempt to fit it to the line of the leg. I don't know if I did something wrong or if it was meant to fit like this so it would curve nicely around the waist. Once I stitched it on it seemed fine. So I (still worriedly) moved on.


Everything was fine after that and the pants looked great after stitching both the pant legs together so I knew I hadn't done anything horrendously wrong. 



The ends of the pant legs were a little uneven across the width so I tidied them up with my rotary cutter so they would hem evenly.



Ta Da!

 I made View B (sans ruffles) and used a flowery lawn fabric to line the pockets. When I was rolling the edge of the pocket lining back I decided to leave a very small edge showing on the outside so it gave the otherwise plain pants some contrast. I also chose to use the main fabric for panel piece 11 on the bottom leg instead of a contrast. Next time I will make a fancier pair but I wanted a plain pair to start.



I didn't ask her to stand like a sergeant major for the photographs but this is the pose she strikes when I say "stay still for a minute". I managed to finish these and clear the table just as dinner was being cooked and so it was a quick run around the garden in new pants for a photoshoot before going back inside to eat.

I always worry about the length of trousers, mainly them not being long enough but these were a generous length, and with the ends being slightly tapered towards the ankle, the length sits on the ankle ridge of the shoe to keep it from dragging on the floor. This means that they will last a bit longer and not look ragged as her legs grow. 

I couldn't be happier with these pants, they are a great fit and will definitely make some more perhaps in a lighter fabric for now and then in corduroy (larger size) towards the end of the year.

 


2 comments:

  1. I am about to make these,so your points are really helpful!
    Thanks so much-groovy pants!
    ~Nicole~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep an eye out for your post to see how you got on. The fabric you have chosen looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete