Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Work Uniform Shirt: Vogue 8747



Pattern: Vogue 8747
Fabrics used: white quilting weight 100% cotton and small amount of patterned cotton fabric for the contrast collar

I researched the options for women's shirts and blouses for some time before settling on this Vogue pattern. I am not a person normally who wears a fitted shirt. I never like the fit and the collar bugs me. I like a more casual style top. My uniform does require me to wear one and so after trying on numerous options in the shops I came to the conclusion I would have to make myself one. The usual fit issues were causing me problems with the rtw ones; nice fit around the body but gaping across the bust, go up a size to compensate and look like you are wearing a sack. So I am told, the industry standard is to fit clothes for a B cup, so if you are any bigger (like me) then clothes just don't fit right.



This pattern is princess seamed and gives you a cup size option. The panel closest to the bustline can be changed from an A cup to a D cup. Brilliant! 

There are also two collar options. I chose the mandarin style collar because I prefer the look. It does sit up quite high on your neck though. I chose to put in a pretty fabric to give it some interest. There is also a long sleeve option. It being summer I went with short sleeves. I did chop off 1.5" from the sleeve edge because the pattern length is neither long nor short, it hovers somewhere in between and looks a bit sad and lost. With some of the length off it looks so much better.



The bottom of the placket has a matching contrast edge. This was not by design, I must admit to getting distracted and forgetting to sew along the short bottom edge before turning it out. A good disguise was needed for the raw edge.



This version in yellow was my practice muslin. I haven't done any buttonholes on this yet but when I get round to buying some nice buttons for it I will complete it. 



The yellow fabric was given to me by a friend so I don't know exactly what the fiber content is. I will say, it gathers better than my white cotton and doesn't crease as much. Even freshly ironed my white one looks crumpled. I must remember to get a fabric with a bit of a blend when it comes to my next one.

 
The inside of the collar makes me happy and I shall do that on all future versions. 

This is a pretty good pattern and I am happy with the fit. The princess seams taper the fit along the length of my body and the gathered bustline means that there is no gaping. A work staple is born!

8 comments:

  1. Good on you. great idea for a pattern to have bust adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplicity do one as well but this one was easier for me to buy. I need to have another two sewn up really to see me through a part-time week. These will do for now as I have school uniform to get through.

      Delete
  2. Great looking blouses! I love how you used a floral print on the inside of the collar of the white one.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about sewing a blouse that feels like 'grown up sewing'. Must get back to some O+S pattern to find my comfort zone again!

      Delete
  3. Love the little floral accents. They both look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful! I've been looking for a shirt pattern for me but this looks so much better. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is comfy to wear. I needed an extra button near the top but other than that it works really well.

      Delete