Thursday, 7 May 2015

Colette Patterns: Negroni Shirt


I am delighted to have finished up my first Negroni Shirt. Now, the pattern has been with me for a while, lying on my shelf, silently accusing me of neglect. I made up a muslin before Christmas last year and everything was pretty good, it needed a few tweaks to the sizing and some length taken off the arms, otherwise my test sew eased my worry about this being in some way difficult.

I own the PDF version but would suggest, if possible, go and get the paper pattern. The printing and taping together took a long time. Lets put it this way, I always trace off my patterns as standard but sometimes with adult ones I cut them to my size knowing (unlike childs patterns) that the size I need will stay fairly constant. This one I traced. No way was I going through having to put another print-off together again! The printed Colette patterns are beautiful anyway so if you are considering it, go for paper. #teampaper


I had to blend sizes on my final shirt. I used the xxl for the shoulders (because my man has shoulders like Superman) and graded back down to the xl from the bottom of the armscye and beyond. This made the shirt less billowy as the muslin had proved to be.

I used a French Navy linen from Minerva Crafts which I bought about 5m of last year. We like navy a lot in this house and linen will never go to waste. I have used this fabric to make myself some short culottes and a Firefly Jacket for Boo.

Navy isn't the best for photographing though. I used wooden buttons which were a specific request from hubby. It was a good choice, they suit the casual nature of the linen. 


I kept the shirt length the same as the pattern dictated but took 4.5" off the sleeves. They are still a bit too long. He doesn't like short sleeved shirts but will always roll his sleeves up to mid-forearm. Lucky for me really as I stuffed up the buttonhole on one of the cuffs and did it on the wrong end. If he were to wear it down, the placket would look twisted but seeing as he never will it is concealed. The cuffs are a bit tight to button up so I would add an extra 1/2" to the sleeve ends and cuffs on the next one. 


He is chuffed to bits with it and I feel like a good wife. I should put him on the sewing list a bit more often. I do have a growing collection of Thread Theory patterns to try out.


(I already have been told under no circumstances will he be modelling the Comox Trunks on the blog..... spoilsport!)


10 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful! I think you just shot my Negroni up the sewing list.

    (I agree - spoilsport!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lotta! I did enjoy sewing for him. I'd better start researching men's sewing patterns.

      Delete
  2. Katy, it is perfect! It fits him so well and is stylish to boot. I'm impressed. I haven't sewn for my husband yet ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Masha! This did take me a while to get around to.

      Delete
  3. The shirt looks professionally made. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...that sounds like something my husband would say! In fact, he didn't even want to model the Negroni I made for him.

    I love the shirt! The solid color and wooden buttons are perfect for this pattern. I really like how it looks with the cuffs rolled up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I have a Simplicity pattern to try out on him for his next shirt. I will be interested to see if I have to alter the sleeves as much on that one.

      Delete
  5. Great work! The fit looks perfect. I'm collecting Thread Theory patterns too, with not much hope of getting around to making them.
    Definitely on teampaper. I'll buy a pdf that I like that isn't available in paper if I have to, but not menswear and never, ever a PDF men's dressing gown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had someone to make more of the TT patterns for. Jay only likes a couple of them. The cardi you made for Roger makes me want to make it. I might see if my Dad is interested.
      I can't even imagine how many pages a dressing gown would take to print out. No no no!

      Delete