I am happy to report that I have been carrying on from my Negroni Shirt with some more adult sewing. This time for me!
I finally took the plunge and sewed up the much raved about Grainline Archer Shirt. I have been stocking up on potential fabrics for this shirt but not wanting to cut into any of them until I did a test run. I have a really nice ex Paul Smith brushed check fabric and some Robert Kaufman Chambray sitting on the shelf but was terrified of making a balls up and wasting good fabric. I picked up enough of this cotton lawn to try it out. At £4.99 a meter it was too good to miss!
I went with the size 14 as I was in between sizes and think the fit is pretty spot on. I will need to take an inch off the length of the sleeves next time as the cuffs sit quite low on my wrist. Otherwise I am really happy with it.
A while back I dyed a length of white linen a lovely red colour to make up a dress with. As I was looking for a contrast fabric for the under collar it caught my eye and surprise surprise, it was the perfect shade to match the flowers. What a happy coincidence!
When I bought this pattern I thought I would make view A first. Something about the drape of the lawn made me go for view B though and I am glad I did. I like the dipped hem at the back, it looks really pretty, and it is something different.
Moving on to my second item, the Lisette Portfolio Pants. I have seen lots of these that I like in the flickr pool. I was a bit more apprehensive about the fit on these but with some alterations I think I have got it right!
I made up a muslin with no modifications and after a quick assessment with the help of this Colette Patterns pants cheat sheet, I figured out what I need to do.
I did a large waist adjustment and added on 3/4" to the waistband and trouser pieces just like they instructed. I wasn't sure it was going to make much difference, it didn't seem to alter the pieces by much, but the difference between the muslin and the first fitting was incredible. They suddenly fit just right. Where they were pulling and tight before, they sat perfectly. Hurrah!
I used the same navy linen as hubby's Negroni shirt as it has become my go-to first test fabric. It creases like a beast but is so nice to wear and will be cool in the hot weather. I can live with a few wrinkles!
The pants have some beautiful details. There are two tabs to the front waistband which you fix down with buttons. You are supposed to add 3 to each one but I went with 2 because that is what I had.
I am about 80% happy with my zip. It seems to pucker out at the bottom and while I am sure that is down to my insertion skills, I would like to use an invisible zip next time. I just think it would look cleaner and keep the line over my hips smoother.
There was some Liberty fabric left over from Boo's Ice Cream top to use for the facings. It makes me smile to know it is there.
The pants have cuffs to the bottom which finish it all off nicely. I like the shorter ankle length for a casual trouser but would prefer another inch (maybe inch and a half) on the bottom to make them more wearable for my height.