Sunday, 11 October 2015

Swingset For A Big Girl


One of the recent pattern releases from Oliver + S is the Swingset Skirt. A remake of an old classic, updated to include sizes up to 14!


I have always loved this skirt pattern. It is pretty, twirly and has a clever waistband that is both elasticated and contains a channel for a drawstring or ribbon. 

I held off buying the Swingset pattern for a long time purely because it only goes up to a 5T and my big girl was growing out of that size at the time. When I had another daughter, I knew I could justify buying it at last and I have enjoyed making the top from the pattern, here.


For my fabric I chose a print that I had spotted a while ago from... Ikea! Yes, that's right, and it is a home dec weight fabric, so not the easiest to gather, or make and install the drawstring with. But I couldn't resist. 
Sometimes when you see a fabric, you instantly know what you want to make with it. The Swingset popped into my head straightaway and I intended to make a smaller size for L but held off as I knew the colour would suit Boo more.

What a wonderful bit of luck when Liesl released the updated version with larger sizes. Finally!!


I made a size 10. Boo sometimes falls into the 12 but because of the generosity of the elasticated waistband, she fit into the 10 perfectly. I added 2" of length to the skirt so it would finish just above her knees.


The skirt is lined and for this I kept it simple with a white poplin. It is perfectly petticoat like and in this case, keeps the heavier weight fabric from touching her skin so she doesn't complain about it being rough when she sits down.


Lets talk about the top. Another Oliver + S pattern, and another one that is my first time sewing it, the Parachute Polo

This fills my need for a good uniform pattern. The top is perfect for everyday school wear when she doesn't want the fuss of a blouse. The sweatpants will be ideal for PE as well as comfy days at home and long journeys in the car.

This top is a size 12, she needed the extra width across the chest and shoulders. I used a single jersey for the main fabric and a cotton poplin for the collar and placket. 

No need to be surprised but the instructions were superb and the top came together easily. I have just bought a new water soluble marker and it was invaluable for making this. My air soluble marker wasn't coming off some fabrics even though I tried to remove it before the steam iron got near it. For this white fabric I didn't dare to risk it.


The length is really good too and it has a slightly longer hemline at the back than the front. Although you will have to take my word for it as it is tucked in here!

We love both items and I am hoping to get stuck into some new colder weather clothes for her over the next few weeks. I have been lusting after corduroys and twills in the online shops. She needs new trousers, skirts and jumpers so I see a lot of tracing and cutting in my future!





7 comments:

  1. What a great outfit. It's a gorgeous skirt and I like the Polo all in white. I'm curious, did you use the original instructions or follow the errata notice that was issued for the polo collar? I couldn't work out what the error was meant to be about myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually forgot about the errata and just made it up as written with no problems. It worked fine for me!

      Delete
  2. Such a great outfit - good to know that the skirt works well in the heavier weight fabric. I have an exact copy of that polo ready to be sewn - poplin for the collar as well....gotta love uniform sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice! I really like how the heavier fabric makes for a stiffer skirt. Even though my fingers were so so sore from threading the drawstring!

      Delete
  3. It's an adorable outfit, and I really love it with those brown sandals! I think it was a good idea to line it with white - gives it that elegant, upscale touch which also being practical. I need both of these patterns, it seems!

    ReplyDelete