When L started school, one of the things I got excited about was thinking of making her a duffle coat for the winter term. Of course there could be only one pattern to use, the School Days Coat from Oliver and S.
This is my second time making up this pattern. Similarly to the first run through of the coat, I was terrified of doing something wrong. A coat still feels slightly overwhelming!
I used an English tweed cloth for the outer that felt like a really expensive splurge when I bought it, but on reflection, I have got two coats out of my yardage (the other, an Uptown Girl Jacket, is at the end of this post) so I am satisfied that the money was well parted with.
The inner lining was fiddly to work with. It is a poly-satin that I hoped would make the coat slip on and off easily, which it does, but my fingers kept snagging it and I would find fluffy frayed ends attached to my clothes. Once I got it sewn in, I was relieved!
Her measurements saw her in a 4T but I wanted to size up to a 5T to make it last a while longer. As you can see, there is plenty of growing room in the arms but it doesn't look too big overall.
I secured the openings with a couple of velcro squares just to keep things together. We are going to have to teach her how to work those toggles. She finds them a bit awkward at present.
I am very keen to make the quilted vest to go with this as the wool is quite thin and there would be plenty of wiggle room underneath even with the extra layer. I haven't sewn in the loops to attach the vest to the coat. When I do get around to sewing it, it will work as a separate piece rather than attaching to the inside.
That is both of the girls sorted for winter now in terms of coats. Hubby and I are patiently waiting our turn for our new coats. Mine will be the Grainline Cascade Duffle and Jay will have the Thread Theory Goldstream Peacoat. When I get around to them!