Views Made: Both! Sweatshirt and Hoodie versions
Size Made: Small
Fabric: (View A) Pale Blue fleece backed jersey (View B) Cat print fleece backed jersey and black boucle jersey (reversed)
Sweatshirt fabrics from Higgs and Higgs.
I made the hoodie version first because my daughter was keenest on a new hooded top. I let her choose both fabrics when we went to a craft show and she selected some lovely soft sweatshirt fabric for the hoodie, and a fun cat print for the other. I was a bit surprised at her colour choice. She doesn't like anything in the pink spectrum, but this apparently is purple. I wasn't going to argue!
I loved sewing both of these up. The sweatshirt was understandably a much quicker sew. The patterned fabric actually gave me a slight moment of worry because I didn't have anything to pair it up with. Boo fancied a black contrast shoulder and sorting through my stash, I found that I didn't have any plain black of the same weight as the sweatshirting.
What I did have however was this grey stretch left over from my Grainline Moss Jacket. If I used it with the wrong side out, I had my black. So that is what I did.
The contrast panel on the shoulder looks really good. It makes the top stand out to me. When the pattern was released I really liked the look of the sleeve. It took me a while to add this project to my list but I am glad I did. Boo is now fitting nicely into women's sized patterns, which means I really get my money's worth out of them. I shall make one for me soon I think!
I used the small size to fit her at the chest, the hip size didn't match her measurements, but I didn't think that would matter much. It saves me having to re-stitch a popped out hem when she decides to tuck it over her knees as she sits on the sofa. So a little extra wiggle room is a good thing.
Isn't the curve of the hem lovely?
On to View A, a hooded zip up top with kangaroo pockets.
I'm trying to remember if I have made a zip up hoodie before. I can't for the life of me think of one from the girls wardrobes that was home sewn.
I have made over-the-head hoodies with a kangaroo pocket before though. Those pockets take a lot of wear in children's clothes. My girls think they are indestructible, and that pockets have no sense of gravity when filled with stones, pine cones, leaves and other treasures.
So imagine my delight to find that this pocket has all the edges incorporated into the panels. There is no patch style pocket to pull off (no matter how well stitched down). Also the pocket bags are nice and full.
And there's that lovely sweeping hem again...
The length is perfect on her. Long enough to cover her bottom, but not TOO long.
I lined the hood with some regular cotton jersey leftover from a t-shirt project. The hood is nice and deep. It stays up and feels snuggly.
Thanks to well written instructions, my zip went in perfectly. I didn't have to unpick anything!
Lastly, it occurred to me that the tee she had on underneath everything was one that I made for her in September. It is also a Liesl and Co pattern, this time the Metro Tee. I have altered it slightly as suits her shape. Close fitting and straight styles don't look as good on Boo as a flared hem.
I cut the pattern piece from the hem to the middle of the shoulder (to create a hinge) and swung it apart by about 1"-1.5" at the hem. It creates a more fluid shape as you can see in the second photo.
I used my Van Ikke transfer to jazz up the front. These iron on transfers are brilliant. Such good quality and so far this has washed really well. I just avoid putting it in the tumble dryer because I don't want it to crack or fade.
Thanks for reading!