There are four newly released Lisette patterns with Butterick that are awesome! When a pattern sale came up I scooped them all up. I love all the different pieces, they cover all bases and I can see myself making each one.
(Now, let me just add, I cannot use the self timer on a camera and be in the right place ie: completely in shot. So apologies, this is the best I could do.)
I did the sensible thing and made up a test fit of this top first.
I have realised a very important thing with regards to my sewing output for myself. I have lots of patterns to try, but am afraid of wasting fabric that I have lovingly hoarded, incase it doesn't work out. So they don't get made. I know, I know... this is why you make muslins. For a long time I have been putting off doing the routine of test fit, alter, then make up item. Don't ask me why, but after doing this one properly, I found that I really enjoyed the process of making a rough draft. It put my mind at ease about cutting into the good fabric.
I want to do more sewing for myself so I need to get over the fear of it not fitting first time.
There wasn't much to alter on this pattern anyway. I found that the sleeves on the muslin were too restrictive so I used a 1/2" seam allowance on the underarm seam instead of 5/8" and that gave me more ease of movement. I lengthened the bottom hem by 2" as the original was hitting my waistline before it was hemmed and it would have been way too short. This worked out to be a perfect length for me and I am really happy with it.
The details are what make this pattern so much fun. The exposed zip gives a bit of interest to the back, I especially like the look of the metal in contrast to the soft chambray. The instructions on how to install the zip were superb and I especially liked the added information on how to shorten the metal zip and finish it all off.
The yoke is self lined and the finish looks clean and professional. The neck facings cut on the bias sit beautifully and the scoop neck is just the right shape.
I really enjoyed the process of making this one, the hand sewing to finish the hems was time well spent as it looks lovely from the outside. I hope to try this again and would like to see how it looks in a ponte. That would be very comfy!
The other part of this pattern is the trousers/pants and my daughter thinks I should try the cropped versions for summer. I need more convincing but if we have a hot summer they might be just the things to stock up with. I don't work in an office so if I make them up they will be more casual than smart. They would look great in linen.
There is a sewalong going on over on the Lisette blog and over the next few weeks there will be 3 patterns to choose from. The Moto Jacket is up first and I can't wait to give that a try.