After the birthday and end of term activities were done and dusted I sat down and assessed my sewing basket. Dragging my feet I tackled the UFO pile first, knowing it would make me feel better in the long run.
I started a school uniform Jump Rope dress back in early June but it seemed a bit snug on Boo, so I put it to one side knowing I would have to come back and finish it off so it could be put away for L.
I have made a fair few of these dresses in gingham now and they make the perfect summer dress for school. So smart and pretty. It is hard not to love the pattern even though it takes a little while to complete.
I am trying to top up Boo's dresses as she has just outgrown most of them. I tried a Simplicity pattern aimed for Tweens as I have noticed they have quite a good selection of patterns in that age range. Her measurements are taking her beyond some of the regular patterns that go up to age 8 and she is between a 10 and a 12 in the Oliver + S ones. I am entering bleak territory....
This is Simplicity 6360 and it is a dress with princess seams, godets in the skirt, and a zipper down the back. The pattern itself was simple to follow and I didn't have any problems with the construction.
The fabric is a medium weight denim with punched holes and as with most things, was supposed to be for me. Oh well!
It is a smidge too big. The armholes are the big give away there, far too low for her at the moment. So I will come down a size and check the circumference of the armholes with a tissue fit before cutting anything out. Those godets though... they gave the full twirl factor when she tried the dress on!
So now that I am fully back in the swing of things I dug out my Hopscotch pattern. I have had this beautiful denim sitting on my shelf for a while now and when I bought it, I had this skirt in mind.
The thing I love about this skirt is the pockets. So unique and once you get your head around the folding and pressing directions, they are easy peasy!
I also made the tee from the pattern in good old white jersey. I am disappointed in the quality of the knit fabric though. I can't remember where it came from.... ebay maybe..... it hasn't coped with the seams very well, after washing it is peppered with tiny holes around the bodice and arms. I used fresh needles so know that isn't the problem. Sigh.
Back to the skirt and this time I actually made the buttonholes. Since you don't need to undo them to get the skirt on and off, I have always skipped that step in the past and sewn the buttons on through both plackets. This time I just fancied doing it the proper way. My machine behaved itself too! No chewing up of fabric or stubborn refusal to complete the buttonhole.
The length was perfect no alterations needed.
This is one of her favourite jobs in the garden. Picking blueberries for tomorrows breakfast! We have a very healthy plant this year and they are starting to turn dark purple.