Pattern: Simplicity 1382
Fabric: 'Baby the Stars Shine Bright' by Tamara Kate for Michael Miller
Size made: 8 1/2
She has had a lot of fun wearing my first version of this dress and the fit was still really good. I wanted to make another version in after seeing Rebecca's beautiful Geranium Tunic made from the same fabric.
It took me a while to track the fabric down, everywhere seemed to be out of stock but eventually I got lucky. I expected it to be navy if I am honest, I was a little surprised when it turned out to be purple. However, Boo pounced on it immediately! "It's perfect! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"
I made this back in February but due to camera malfunctions and poor light, I only just managed to get the shots I wanted. The hemline seems to have crept up past her knees already - hmmm she must have gotten taller.
So the difference with this version is the back. The first one had a heart-shaped cut out whereas this one has a crossover back. Still with that peekaboo look which makes it a little bit special.
I did much better with my invisible zip this time. The last one curls in at the top when it is fully drawn up. This time I positioned it better so the hard plastic top of the zipper wasn't included in the edge and it zips up nice and smooth. I couldn't figure out where I had gone wrong previously, but that must be it.
I did intend to make this the cap sleeved version. It was only when I was finished sewing the facings on and was giving the armholes a pressing, that I realised I had missed putting them on. Ooops! They were staring at me the whole time from the back of my sewing table.
For those interested in the insides, here is a shot of the bodice. The facings are nice and deep and all sewn into the side seams so they sit beautifully and don't flap about. The waistband also has a facing and so all raw edges are sealed inside making it nice to wear.
Now, I must crack on with that sleeved version.....