Pattern: Jalie 3461 'Eleonore'
Fabric used: Stretch Denim sourced from Ebay
Size made: 'H' which is 104cm height
I have plenty of patterns I could use to make jeans for the girls, in the past I have used the Oliver and S After School Pants with great success and the Clever Charlotte Raven Pants. This time around I wanted a skinnier leg and after a bit of searching for something that would accommodate both girls (without having to buy two sizes in the same pattern) I stumbled across the reviews for this Jalie pattern.
I have about 4 Jalie patterns now and from what I have made I have been really impressed. So I bought this with the added smug thought that I could actually make a pair for me because the sizing starts from a girls age 2 and goes all the way to a ladies size 22. This pattern has some serious longevity!
These aren't the first pair I have made, just the first that I got photographed. My eldest wore her test pair all through summer, those were made to check fit and cut to above the knee. They were superb shorts! I also made her a full length pair and they fit her well with a few adjustments. I have learned through all my trials with this pattern that the results differ wildly depending on the fabric. Specifically the amount of stretch.
The requirements are for light/medium weight stretch twill or denim with at least 20% stretch across the grain.
I have discovered how massively important that is because a couple of my attempts have been too snug. Boo has a pair of red ones sitting on my sewing table which she can get on, but they require no elastic and she really can't move around in them! There isn't enough 'give' in the stretch denim I used for them. Not all shops list the percentage stretch, which makes it tricky to buy the right fabric. I would only buy fabric for this pattern again if I was sure of the stretch because otherwise it is a waste of my sewing time.
But, thankfully these were fine! I used an indigo stretch denim that I bought off Ebay with the intention of making myself some Ginger Jeans. I will get those sewn up one day. That's a promise to myself!
These are pull on jeans with a wide waistband, yoke, faux fly, faux front pockets and patch pockets on the back. They are topstitched everywhere and for that I would really recommend you go out and buy proper topstitching thread. They look so much better for it.
The seams are all pressed to one side and topstitched, making everything really sturdy and hardwearing.
I followed the instructions for the double topstitching across the back yoke and really like the look. The pockets were designed freehand. They sit in just the right place on the back of the jeans. There is nothing worse than a back pocket sitting too high or too low!
I am glad these ones will get some wear and will keep this pattern at the front of my stash for future use. I re-measured both girls recently and noticed with a sigh that I if I were making these exact jeans again for L, I would be cutting out the next size up.
So, its a great pattern, one I would highly recommend and one I will make again. But remember what I said about the stretch if you are making them too!