Wednesday, 1 April 2020

Closet Case Kelly Coat in Green

Hello! Its been a while since I've posted on this little space of mine! Almost a year, that really is shameful. I'm still here, still making. I guess at this moment, like so many, I find myself with the blessed gift of time.

I was lucky to get some photographs of this new coat on the weekend before we went into isolation. Little did we know that would be the case. 

On to the sewing!



Pattern: Kelly Coat from Closet Case Patterns
Size Made: 16
Fabric: Green Twill (outer) Floral stretch mystery fabric (lining) dress lining (sleeves)

This is my second go at the Kelly Coat, my first being in a yellow ripstop fabric. I still wear that version a lot and always promised myself that I would make another. Specifically in a green twill and lined in something warm. Spring can be cruel over here. You think it is a lovely sunny day until you step into the shade and then it might as well be winter. 

Ironically, I don't need a coat at the moment and would have been better investing my time into making pyjamas or trackies to wear around the house. 



Making this coat for the second time, even with a years gap, I didn't have any major problems. The amount of pattern pieces  is overwhelming and you have to be really organised to make sure everything is cut out and cut out correctly (some pieces are right side up only.) I have of course used the add on lining expansion pack, so lots of extra pieces.

I referred to the written instructions and the online sewalong because some steps I needed to actually see. It is a lovely pattern to sew up. As long as you take your time over each step and get that topstitching on straight it isn't stressful at all.


The snaps are plastic KAM snaps applied using one of their proper pliers. I struggled to get the metal snaps on last time and the plastic ones were much better. However, this time, and it may be because of the weight of the twill, but I don't think all the plastic snaps are going to hold firm. The one in the center of the drawstring casing won't stay put. I can always try the metal ones if I have any major issues.



I got quite excited about the bartacks. My old sewing machine hated bartacks and would use it as an opportunity to create great knotted tangles and chew up my fabric. This was made on my newer machine and I am thrilled to find it completed the procedure with no issues.



Roomy pockets and a nice deep hood. The drawstring waist keeps everything tidy and snug. 






I didn't realise when I bought the lining fabric, that it had quite a bit of stretch. The requirements are for a non-stretch so I kept my fingers crossed that it would work. It has created a cozy layer against my body and the fact that it has that little bit of give meant that the hood lining went in smoothly. I didn't have to snip into the seam allowance to make it fit. 



I chose to use a shifty lining fabric for the sleeves. This enables the coat to go on easily.



 I added a hanging loop along the neckline, which I forgot to photograph. 




I hope you are all keeping well. Take care and stay safe!

3 comments:

  1. I do admire your coat making and may call on you when I make an anorak for Hugo.
    I love the colour and the lining is gorgeous
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fingers crossed I get to wear it soon.

      Delete
  2. Another coat you might need to put resources into is the downpour coat. The downpour coat is water verification and is normally made of vinyl. This vinyl material keeps you dry, makes it substantially more abnormal to wear on a typical radiant day. bane coat

    ReplyDelete